tirsdag den 24. juni 2014

How to evolve into a diva


In the last many articles I have been waving with my confusion about Italians (oh you great mysteries) and wondered how I can become more Italian. But over the last month time, there are a few things that have become clearer to me. Things I initially didn’t understand or could relate to. But just last evening I was late for an appointment, and I was complaining about it to everyone. In Italian.

Step by step, this culture has begun to shape me.  

I used to find it the hardest to relate to the women here. As a Dane from a land of independent, equal minded, beer drinking, career seeking women, all I saw when I moved to this country, was women with red lip stick, high heels and a diva attitude that made me feel like a butch and brutal man.



But today I have implemented all of the things on my list on how to become more Italian, and I have become a full blown Italian Donna!

I understand now, that the women here are not at all little fragile princesses, who doesn’t know how to do anything themselves. These women has taken the female advantages and spun gold out of it. They are just as strong and independent, but they have got an attitude that makes men jump off their chairs and do anything to make them happy. In Denmark the men won’t even hold the door for a woman. So, admittedly, it didn’t take me long to get used to this new way.

Here is how things usually works for me:

A Danish woman packs and calculate the weight of the groceries or luggage to an amount that she can carry. She knows, that these things need to be moved from A to B and she knows, that she is will be the one moving it. She is an independent woman. She can carry her own stuff.

When a man picks up a woman at her door, she will be dressed and ready to go at the agreed time. She will not be still looking for the right outfit, lipstick, shoes or talking on the phone with her girlfriends.  



If a Danish woman has to go somewhere, she knows that there are different solutions to get there, such as public transportation, a bike, or a taxi. She will manage to both depart and arrive all on her own.

If a Danish woman has to enter a door, she is in most cases capable of locating and operating the door knob. She is independent. She is managing on her own.

If a Danish woman is finding herself thirsty or hungry, she will navigate to a café, order and pay herself, without further supervision.

But..

When all of these things are turned upside down, it is almost impossible not to take one step closer to life as a diva. I no longer have to carry my own heavy shit. People will wait for me, even if I am late, and hold the door for me and pick me up in a car whenever I have to go somewhere. They will be worried if I got something to eat and make sure that I am generally pleased. And so, step by step, I have started to get used to these little things, and before I knew it I had started to expect them to happen... 



I like equality, but I am enjoying that there is a difference between men and women. At what point in a Danish man’s life does he ever feel that the woman actually needs him?


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar